Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Kindergarten!

Hey Everybody,

We began working at the Inzai Shion Kindergarten on Monday morning. I am living on the second floor of the kindergarten, right above the main staff offices. So far, it has been so much fun. We work pretty long days. Our schedule varies but has been something like:

8:30-10:30 play/teach English to students.
10:30-12:00 Japanese Lesson/Class.
12:00-1:30 Lunch/Class visits
1:30-2:15 Bus preparation/boarding
3:00-6:00 After school program or daycare.

The kids are super cute and fun. They jump off the bus in their uniforms with huge smiles on their faces. They say, "Good morning, Mike sensei." It is pretty sweet. I will post some pics of the kids and campus in my next blog. They have made it really fun. One bummer is the language barrier. I speak so little Japanese. We are working on it! I have had minor headaches the last two days and have been completely tired out at night. I don't think it's the busyness of the day but rather hearing Japanese all day. It is so foreign to me and wears me out after a solid 8 hours...haha, part of the job I guess...

Last night, I went on a nice tour of the area. I took my rockin bike and went south from the school. I basically wanted to explore and take some pictures along the way. I saw some cemeteries, miles of rice paddies, and a baseball diamond. I found an awesome river with anglers doing their thing along its banks. I'd heard that bass fishing was pretty big over here...Anyways, I snapped a few pics of my men who were bringing in some big ones. (I actually saw a couple guys catch some.) Chad, they were using rubber worms and hot n' tots. The bike ride turned out to be quite a bit longer than expected, if you know what I mean. Here are a few pics from my ride:



This evening, the teachers from the school showed us how to make miso soup. Miso soup is really popular here. Mom and Dad both know the taste :) Anyways, it was a really cool time to hang out with them and get to know them a little better. Most of them are actually between 22-25. They work really hard and seem to really enjoy their jobs.


I think I missed home for the first time last night. I woke up in the middle of the night and really wished that I could hear kindergartners that were speaking my language...I guess I'll just have to learn more Japanese for the now :)

Well, it's 9:30 here and time for me to read a bit and then hit it. Goodnight, thanks for reading.

Mike

5 comments:

Brenda Maust said...

I can imagine it is hard since the Japanese language is nothing like the English language. I can understand why you are tired! You are young so you will catch on quickly. This is a wonderful experience for you! We will be praying for you!

Jackson said...

I remember the culture shock type stuff in the first few weeks... it's a good growing part of it, and it breaks you down a little bit so you are a little more open to learn, so don't fight it...
that's my sage wisdom, now here's the rest:
-You needed to get in on a piece of that young baseball practice. Show 'em how Big Papi Sensei does it.
-Your bike is ballin'. Rock those little tires and that fender.
-Eat some flied lice for me if you can please.
Thanks.
Two fingers.

taylorhulyk said...

Define "rockin" bike versus regular. What's a paddie? I feel so undereducated while reading your blogs.

Hang in there, oh Japanese one. You'll be picking up the lingo in no time.

Jessica said...

"Mike sensei"

aww :) i love it! and i love how you're still rockin' the peace sign!!

FLAVOR OF THE MONTH said...

Yoder you're so awesome! I knew you'd have a great time in Japan! It's pretty different there huh? Keep enjoying yourself :)

WITH HONOR